Thursday, November 28, 2019

The Embarrassment of Two Identities


Around 30 AD, in Palestine, a guy woke up to the fact that he was what had been referred to as “God.”  He then saw that as god, all he could do was sacrifice himself for others, to the point of his own nonexistence.  And then he saw that death really didn’t matter in the face of all this.  So those who listened to him thought he didn’t die (though their accounts varied wildly and those who put together the record of it slyly knew that.)


He woke up within Judaism but didn’t leave Judaism behind.  He might as well have left being male behind, and no one asked him to do that (even though he knew that there was, on some level, no such thing as male or female.)

It took the Fathers (there were no Mothers yet, as nice as that would be) several hundred years to figure out who he was, and even then they fought about it. If there were Internet back then, or if the city you lived near didn’t determine your theology, I probably would have been a Nestorian (but not a classic one, more like Nestorius himself, not that that matters at all).

He never intended for a religion to arise from himself, let alone the primary one of Europe and the Americas. But he probably knew it was inevitable that a religion would arise from him, that it should be small, and that it would be over as soon as possible.  And he probably knew, as he preached, as he had to, he had no control over it.

I was a follower of this man, Jesus, until recently. I still am really.  In the Orthodox Church, which, until lately, preserved his teaching best.  Until the probably inevitable takeover of the institution by the Evangelical heresy, which tried and succeeded in making him understandable.

Now the Orthodox Church has become the place, incredibly, where “serious” Evangelicals go, as weird as that is.  Even though folks had tried to make Jesus understandable from the beginning.  And the Fathers’ argument was probably appropriate, because he was truly the most complicated of humans.  His self-sacrifice was the most important thing, and I always felt it was what Christianity had that all the others didn’t.

About 25 years ago I started practicing in the Buddhism which seemed a natural fit for me in my youth, primarily Zen. Before I got hijacked by Christianity, Eastern Orthodoxy in particular.  But I was one of those Zennies who came that way through Christianity, and who always felt the great truth of that, that there was something Christianity had that the others didn’t, and it had to do with that extreme self-sacrifice.  And that extreme sacrifice was missing from Buddhism. (Though I did see that in the ideal of the bodhisattva.)

I liked the precepts and the eightfold path, and the silent sitting that is only part of it, though it’s taken by many to be the whole thing.  I like the looking into our true nature that silent sitting is all about. I sense no difference in my direction, even though I feel I had to leave the Church behind.

My borders are, necessarily, thus somewhat indistinct.  Embarrassingly so.  I cannot identify with the (large) number of Buddhists who follow that path because it is not the Christianity or Judaism in which they were raised.    Because it was Christianity that led me here.

I always had an aversion to folks who mixed and matched the traditions according to whim, and now, naturally it seems, I am one of them. I find that I usually end up becoming what I don’t like.  And this is no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment