Wednesday, July 10, 2013

New Poetry, Summer 2013



People Might Get the Wrong Idea

To pray for you
May be nothing other than the impulse to hold you
In my arms and share what you’re going through,
To take the suffering away from you
And give you whatever part of me happens not to be sad or afraid.
This being the best I can do in face of the fact that
God doesn’t usually honor my requests to eradicate your suffering.
And it’s limited to aspiration, because if I actually took you in my arms,
People, including you and me, might get the wrong idea,
So I withhold my literal embrace and make a wish:
That the lack of distinction between us will be revealed
And we’ll find consolation in that truth.

Unless to pray for you
Is nothing other than ascesis in the face of your hatred of me
Nothing but the impulse to force you into my arms
Against both our wills, and make siblings of us in spite of it all.
To give you whatever part of me happens not to be sad or afraid,
Even if I don’t really want to.
This being the best I can do in face of the fact that
God doesn’t usually honor my request to morph us into brotherhood.
And it’s limited to aspiration because if I actually took you in my arms,
People, including you and me, might get the wrong idea,
So I withhold my literal embrace and make a wish:
That the lack of distinction between us will be revealed
And we’ll find consolation in that truth.

--------



The Cure

 
Our great shared illness: 
Belief in the Supernatural. 
Koan becomes a riddle to be solved  
(with a prize, naturally, expected). 
Eucharist becomes a magic trick.
Resurrection becomes a miracle different from all the others. 
Enlightenment becomes something other than what’s there  
whenever I open my eyes, 
Or close them.

I was once cured of the illness 
When someone smiled at me with kindness 
And I smiled back. 
Though the cure lasted only as long as that moment.
Nice moment, though.
 


-----------


Transcendence

From a crevice in the granite
Of a mountain on this planet
Alpine flowers testify
To resurrection. Then they die.
The rocks so recently bedecked
Remain unmoved, as you’d expect.

-----------



Prayer

Lord have mercy:
On those I hate,
On those who hate me,
On those I love,
On those who love me,
On those I’m indifferent to,
And on those who are indifferent toward me.
If that doesn’t cover everyone,
Let me know.
 

-------------


Chalcedon

Shared experience
Requires articulation.
But a problem arises
When the word
We speak in response--
Even φύσις--
Isn’t seen to be as provisional
as all other words.
And another problem arises
When we think of provisional as untrue.



---------



Poem for Any Day of the Week

None of us escapes idolatry.
We’re born into it.
It teaches us our story.
It explains all our sorrows
And joys.
We get PhDs in it.
Life is the process of
Undoing it
To see what remains.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment